CHRONICLES

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Culture of Thoughts


The mind is a powerful tool that most of us take for granted in today's society. In a culture where instant gratification comes at the tips of our fingertips, sometimes it is nice just to think for a second about the power of our thoughts- what would we be able to accomplish just by thinking?

                               
                                                          a lot.


Throughout the course of the day I cannot count the times where a thought- created by fear, anxiety or worry- has plagued my mind. And with a quick squint of the nose and a low moan, I do my best to push that worry out of the way. But am I just filing these thoughts away into a locked file cabinet only for that shelf to one day expire and flood this fortitude I have built up in my mind? I surely hope not.

But what I am hoping to accomplish (and I hope to accomplish this sooner than later) is the ability to take these negative thoughts, to accept them and understand where they have come from, and dismiss them. Negative thoughts are inescapable in a world moving at such a fast and unforgiving pace, and really

   it is okay to feel them. It is okay to feel sad, angry, depressed and hurt.

                            But we cannot stay this way forever. As cliche as it sounds, life is way too short, way too wonderful to substitute hurt with happiness.

So instead of simply pushing these fears and negative feelings away, instead I hope to accept them as who I am and then reconfigure my way of thinking into something positive and beneficial to my soul. I am also trying to use the "s" word less often (that's stressed and not the other "s" word you are probably thinking about) because I mean, not everything in life is stressful. The word has now become too reflexive in my everyday life and because of that, it is now not a product of my mind but a product of my being. I don't want to be a stressful person, I only want to have stressful moments that I know I can overcome.

"You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select what clothes you're gonna wear every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That's the only thing you should be trying to control."

The mind is a powerful tool

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments and will try my best to get back to you with any questions or inquiries! Also if you want to follow each other please leave a comment here and I'll be happy to return the favour xx